Direct Mail is Still Relevant in a Mobile World
1 Jul 2016 | Author: Kasey Palmer
As mobile technology continues to evolve and influence marketing strategies, the United States Postal Service (USPS) has launched a campaign to demonstrate how direct mail can continue to be a relevant part of the marketing mix. The 2016 Mobile Shopping Promotion encourages customers to adopt and invest in technologies that enhance consumer engagement with mail. Through the use of mobile technology, USPS customers can create a convenient way for consumers to shop from their mobile devices.
The promotion will run from July 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016 and feature an upfront two percent (2%) postage discount on Standard Mail® letters and flats. The mailpiece must include a mobile barcode, such as a QR Code or an equivalent print/mobile technology, that can be scanned by a mobile device. Upon scanning, consumers must be directed to a mobile-optimized website where they can purchase an advertised product or complete a financial transaction.
The mailpiece must also contain text, otherwise known as a call to action, which conveys information about the landing page. It should be located near the barcode or image and be enticing enough for the consumer to scan the barcode. Customers interested in participating in the promotion must provide an unaddressed hard copy sample of the mailpiece to the acceptance clerk in order to receive the discount.
Here is a summary of the requirements:
• Mobile barcodes need to be a minimum of ½ inch by ½ inch and the placement needs to be with the marketing message
• The mailpiece must contain a call to action instructing the consumer to scan the barcode or image and information about the landing page
• The destination web page(s) must contain information relevant to the content of the mailpiece and some or all of the product(s) advertised on the mailpiece must be available for purchase on a mobile device
• The destination web page (s) must reside on a website platform that contains or is integrated with a checkout functionality that allows the customer to complete the purchase of the product referenced in the mailpiece through a complete mobile-optimized experience
Interested in participating in the promotion and saving 2% on your direct mail campaigns? The ScanLife Mobile Engagement Platform is the most robust solution in market for the creation, management, and analysis of your QR Code campaigns. We’ve helped companies like Carter’s integrate QR Codes into their mail pieces to promote mobile shopping and we can do the same for you!
For a full list of requirements visit: https://ribbs.usps.gov/mailingpromotions/documents/tech_guides/2016MobileShoppingPromotionRequirements.pdf
Welcome to the World of ScanLife
Mobile barcodes have changed the way we discover & share information from the world around us. We welcome your thoughts & ideas on how to make this technology matter - today and in the future.
- Scan ‘Til You Drop With ScanLife
- Using ScanLife To Save Money On Black Friday, Holiday Shopping, And Beyond
- Enhancing the Reader Experience with QR Codes
- ScanLife 30 Day Contest 2016: How to Play
- Spin & Win with ScanLife