Location: Anywhere (NYC or Seattle area Preferred)
Works with: Sr. DevOps Engineer
Scanbuy is looking for an operations engineer to join our team. You will be working in a small, tightly-knit environment with our Agile development teams and also our partner ops teams. We will encourage you to get involved outside the boundaries of traditional ops so that your expertise can inform our design and development activities. You should bring a love of operations and a passion for getting production systems right. Outages should offend you. Ineffective monitoring should make you sad. Being empowered to address those things should make you very happy.
We’d like to have you tell us about your personal projects, open source contributions, blog posts, and other accomplishments that you are proud of. And you ought to generally be able to demonstrate most of the qualifications below.
- Be responsibe for the Microsoft Tag online system, including monitoring and outage mitigation
- Implement and improve monitoring and notification systems for virtual systems running on AWS and Azure
- Operate in a shared responsibility environment with Microsoft ops
- Work with the Sr DevOps Engineer and Scanbuy development to improve performance, scalability, and reliability of the Scanbuy Code Management Platform
- Analyze the usage and current cloud deployment architecture to optimize it for cost and performance.
- Manage DNS vendors and domains
- Help with production releases in a devops environment
- Monitor and report on system availability
- Work with Development team to improve the system architecture
- Manage cloud services including load balancers, Apache servers, and database servers (MySQL and SQL Server) .
- Use shell or Perl scripting to automate processes and maintain the application environments
- Design and implement load and performance measurement tests
- Be available to handle out of hours outages
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in CS or a similar technical field
- 3 or more years work experience in data center operations
- Experience with Windows and Linux (rhel, centos, Ubuntu) system administration
- Be able to demonstrate proficiency from a terminal window in both Windows and Linux
- Thorough knowledge of TCP/IP networking and Internet
- One year experience with deploying and managing production systems on a cloud infrastructure
- Experience operating a production system on Amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure
- Knowledge of Java/Tomcat based systems
- Experience with system monitoring tools like big brother | nagios, or cactii
- Scripting Skills in Perl, Shell, Bash, or Python
- Some knowledge of network protocols and security
- Very good oral and written English communication skills
- Software development, especially of back end or cloud-based or web-based systems a plus
- DBA experience, SQL knowledge, and/or knowledge of MySQL or SQL Server a big plus
Scanbuy is the leading global provider of mobile barcode solutions. Used in over 125 countries around the world every day, the ScanLife scanner app is the gateway for consumers to make more informed purchases and for companies to connect to consumers in their daily lives away from a computer.
The ScanLife platform is made up of the scanner apps for mobile handsets, the back end resolver for decoding scans from around the world, and the Code Management Platform, a web-based application that allows code publishers to manage their codes and access analytics. The platform and other Scanbuy IT infrastructure are now all cloud-based and we need someone with strong technical and business experience to rationalize and improve on what we have done so far.
We are a globally distributed Agile organization. That means we empower our teams to do their best work in their own way, and we depend on them to uphold high engineering standards and to do the right thing for our customers and our business. You will be on a kanban team working closely with a few other colleagues to deliver value for our customers in the best way you know how.
Product Manager - Mobile & Web Platforms
Scanbuy - Greater New York City Area
Scanbuy is looking for experienced, passionate software Product Manager to help us rapidly grow our product solution which consists of SaaS platforms for marketers and consumer mobile apps with over 60 million downloads. Your role will be to define product features that can be efficiently built in an Agile development environment, and also work with internal marketing and sales teams to successfully bring new products to market. You are a combination of entrepreneur, analyst, engineer, and marketer, but most importantly you enjoy making life easier and more enjoyable for your users.
More about our products. Our web-based platform helps marketers and media publishers create and track engaging mobile experiences and it is used by 25% of the Fortune 100 with clients like Starbucks and Coca-Cola. The apps are used by tens of millions around the world to discover content from the physical world via product barcodes, QR Codes and more. Users can find prices, buy products, watch videos, and share what they discover with friends. We also have an SDK and set of APIs which are being used to create a new set of applications including mobile coupons, mobile wallets, loyalty solutions, and much more on the horizon. This is an amazing opportunity to help shape and evolve one of the hottest mobile spaces today with unique access to both consumers and top notch businesses around the globe.
- Work with the sales, marketing and engineering teams to define and prioritize compelling new features.
- Act as Product Owner for part or all of the product lines within extremely professional Agile Scrum teams.
- Work with designers to create wireframes, full mockups and prototypes so that engineers can work efficiently through the user storiesUse various methodologies to gather ongoing user feedback on the products to optimize before and after they are released.
- Execute communication efforts as new products or features are released which include packaging the offer, messaging of key benefits, pricing, communication with sales teams, etc. Tactics may include websites, email, sales collateral, video demos, and more.
- Must keep up to date of relevant trends and competitive products.Vet and work with relevant technology partners to enhance the products.
Desired Skills and Expertise:
- Proven Product Manager with at least 3-5 years of software experience with revenue driven results.
- Work on mobile applications or analytics products is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in an Agile environment, ideally Scrum, is strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate basic engineering principles and understand generally how things work.
- Ability to work well with multiple functions and personalitiesAbility to effectively communicate an idea in various ways.
This position will be expected to work out of our office in mid-town Manhattan.
Paid Marketing Interns
Scanbuy - Greater New York City Area
Paid intern positions available for applicants seeking hands on experience in Marketing.
A global leader in mobile engagement is seeking marketing interns to support corporate marketing initiatives and programs such as lead generation, research, social media and events. Individuals should be dynamic, take initiative, be dedicated to teamwork, work well with deadlines, and have strong organizational skills. You should be eager to learn marketing techniques that drive business.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good relationship development skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and manage multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent research ability and command of the internet
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to gain valuable marketing experience. The position will report to the Vice President of Marketing but will interact with all departments.
Mobile App Support Engineer
Scanbuy - Greater New York City area
Reports To: Manager, Technical Services
Description: Scanbuy is seeking someone with an interest in mobile applications and devices to work closely with our handset app developers by providing test, device management, and new device investigation help, and also provide critical support for our handset development initiatives with partners and vendors. This is a hands-on technical role with additional partner and vendor coordination responsibilities.
- Be the point of contact with our partners for preload testing, deployment, tracking, and reporting.
- Coordinate delivery of preload packages to carriers
- Receive, track, and return proprietary devices for testing
- Resolve issues between Scanbuy and preload partners.
- Triage bugs reported against handset apps and respond to the reporter.
- Manage our test device inventory
- Create and maintain test cases for mobile applications
- Execute app tests as required
- Produce test reports when required
- Participate with the development team to do release testing of the ScanLife system
- Take on tasks from the Technical Support team as required
- Creating and maintaining a list of 3rd party tools used by the Scanlife system
- Two year technical degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Two years’ experience working in a technical organization such as corporate IT or high tech development
- Genuine passion around mobile devices and a working knowledge of several
- Professional level of familiarity with using the internet for work
- Some technical understanding of the internet and web
- Experience in testing released applications on iOS and Android
- Familiarity with mobile application release process on the iTunes App Store and Google Play Market
- Knowledge of other mobile operating systems such as J2ME and Symbian a plus
- Experience working in a networked Microsoft Windows and Office environment
- Good written and oral English communication skills
- High standard of personal performance and self-motivation
Scanbuy is the leading global provider of mobile barcode solutions for the enterprise. Used in over 125 countries around the world every day, the ScanLife scanner app is the gateway for consumers to make more informed purchases and for companies to connect to consumers in their daily lives away from a computer.
We are a globally distributed Agile organization, which means we empower our teams to do their best work in their own way, and we depend on them to uphold high engineering and quality standards and to do the right thing. Our goal is nothing less than the highest quality that Agile has to offer: zero bug, customer-oriented software. If you want to make a difference at a small company riding a tidal wave of market upsurge, consider us. We have a startling amount of work to do that offers endless opportunities to learn new technologies, be creative with user interfaces, and catapult our solution into worldwide leadership.
Shareholder Relations Admin
Scanbuy - Greater New York City Area
Seeking an independent individual to provide administrative and communications support for the shareholders of the company. This includes, keeping track of shareholders of record, handling stock certificate issuance, reissuance, transfers. Answering shareholder questions on investment, share position, Board matters when appropriate and all other routine and scheduled communications including quarterly investor updates, investor update calls, coordination of dates and all logistics for Board meetings. The position will also provide general clerical support to the office, coordinate company meetings and events and support executive officers in a consistent high quality fashion, utilizing critical thinking and interpersonal skills. The SRA will act as the point person to outside senior level executives, Board Members, and investors. Individuals must be well-organized, detail-oriented, mature, and be an effective communicator with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines without compromising quality.
• Associate's degree (or equivalent) AND 3+ years of senior level executive assistant experience.
• Strong computer skills and knowledge -- MS Office Suite experience is a must with special emphasis on Outlook and scheduling meetings and travel domestically and Internationally.
• Must have excellent communication and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail and accuracy, including priority-setting, decision-making ability and understand and act upon implied tasks.
• $35 - $50k per year with benefits
Business Development Intern
Scanbuy - Greater New York City Area
We are seeking a high-performer to join our team; someone that is not afraid of working hard or trying new things. As a Business Development Intern you will have an opportunity to apply your skills in a high pace and exciting work-place alongside some of the best innovators in the industry. The ideal candidate will be a passionate, go-getter who can contribute skills to further our success and meet the challenges of our industry. You will work closely with company officers and will be encouraged to bring your own ideas to the business and will have the opportunity to share and discuss those ideas with the team, through being actively involved in brain-storming sessions and crucial company decision making. The ideal candidate will have strong presentation skills and will be proficient in Powerpoint. The intern will receive feedback and mentoring from the broader Business Development team in order to improve their own business understanding and skills in a technology environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilties:
Primary tasks will include:
- Market Research and Analysis: Identify and evaluate specific business opportunities and market trends. Specific activities will include, but are not limited to, desktop research, company and/or industry experts interview, survey and/or on-site visit, and market and competitive analysis.
- Partnership Development: Identify, build and manage long term relationships with strategic partners in pursuit of growth opportunities. Specific activities may include organizing and attending meetings with external parties to discuss strategic collaboration opportunities, handling external and internal communications and facilitate legal and licensing agreements with partners as needed.
- Powerpoint Presentation Work: Organize and present results of research and analysis in a comprehensive and clear manner. Specific activities may include, but are not limited to, presentation of research results to the broader Business Development team.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Processes reports and paperwork to and from corporate offices.
- Supports in performing various analytical special projects, including working with spreadsheet, presentation and/or database applications to create reports for department or office meetings.
- Collaborates with staff and departments in preparing special projects.
- Special administrative tasks as they arise.
(The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.)
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
Minimum of high school diploma or equivalent required. Must be pursuing Bachelor's Degree.
Qualifications and Desired skills:
- Good organizational and execution skills, focus on detail
- Strong team player who can work independently
- High level of written and oral communication, especially in English.
- Good knowledge of Excl, Word, PowerPoint
- Excellent customer service required
Compensation: To be determined
We are seeking a professional and motivated team player to support the business imperatives of the business and corporate development team of Scanbuy, Inc. Scanbuy is the global leader in the mobile barcode industry, providing and developing interactive barcode technology branded ScanLife.
Sr. Software Test Engineer – Mobile and Web Application Development (Telecommute)
Scanbuy - Greater New York City Area or Telecommute
Scanbuy is seeking a senior software test developer for its mobile and web apps and its backend processing system. You will be the senior technical person in software testing and automated test within Scanbuy, and over time you’ll help us to create a powerful test capability. We will look to you to provide direction with regard to technology and techniques that will supercharge our automated testing and help us overcome the challenges that surround automated test of mobile handset applications. You will also be a member of a scrum team doing product development across all facets of the Scanbuy platform
Desired Skills & Experience:
Spend your time the way technical leaders are supposed to by contributing directly to ongoing product development and providing leadership to help drive our automation test technology to higher standards. Help figure out how to handle multiple apps on mobile handsets and web-based online applications. Evangelize automated testing and ‘test infect’ everybody on our product development team. You will, on a daily basis, provide leadership around testing and test creation as the primary test member of our back end and web application development scrum team. We’ll want you involved in every aspect of product development, from conception and design through release. You’ll be working on a virtual, agile team that wants to achieve zero bug software.
We’d like you to have at least 3 years experience with software test automation and 5 years total product development experience. Some of your testing experience will have been with test automation of mobile handset apps. We think you are a programming tester, and we expect experience in Java, Objective C, C++, or Ruby. Or something else close.
Yeah, sure, we want to know that you had enough focus to get a BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical discipline. An MS degree would be a plus. Have you done load, performance, and scalability testing of web-based systems? We do that, and it’s hard. It would be nice if you could help.
Of course we’d prefer if you’d spent a year or more doing automated test in an agile environment. Experience with ATDD or Behavior Driven Development using Cucumber would be awesome.
Scanbuy is the leading global provider of mobile barcode solutions for the enterprise. Used in over 125 countries around the world every day, the ScanLife scanner app is the gateway for consumers to make more informed purchases and for companies to connect to consumers in their daily lives away from a computer. We have experienced 600% growth in usage over the past year and we are still riding the rocket.
We are a distributed agile organization, which means we empower our teams to do their best work in their own way, and we depend on them to uphold high engineering and quality standards and to do the right thing. Our goal is nothing less than the highest quality that Agile has to offer: zero bug software. You will be on a Scrum team working closely with a few other colleagues to build value for our customers in the best way you know how. If you want to make a difference at a small company riding a tidal wave of market upsurge, consider Scanbuy. We have a startling amount of work to do that offers endless opportunities to learn new technologies, be creative with user interfaces, and catapult our solution into worldwide leadership.
Experience: Mid-Senior level
Functions: Engineering, Information Technology
Industries: Marketing and Advertising
Sr. Web Application Engineer
Location: Anywhere, NYC preferred
Reports To: VP, Product Development
Scanbuy is building its development team. We are looking for several developers at all levels of experience to join us as we build out our Java-based web application, our handset apps, and our data offering. We work together as a team and while we all have our deep areas of experience, we all pitch in to product products for our customers regardless of specialization.
As a software engineer you thrive in a fun start-up environment delivering rock-solid customer focused solutions. You work best as part of a close-knit team that likes to get things done and learn as they go. If you want to make a difference at a small company riding a tidal wave of market upsurge, consider us. We have a startling amount of work to do that offers endless opportunities to learn new technologies, be creative with user interfaces, and catapult our solution into worldwide leadership.
You will be a member of a small cross functional scrum team working with Product Owner and customers to scope, design, implement and launch new features. As a key member of this team you will be working on the ScanLife platform delivering shippable software every 2 weeks. We have few boundaries (who can afford boundaries?) so you will be able to stretch in any number of directions even as you bring your skills and experience to the table and mentor our junior people.
- Work with the engineering and product teams to design, develop, test, and deploy customer features
- Develop deep feature expertise working on the handset scanning app, the web-based Code Management Platform, the server side scan resolution system, and our data feeds
- Improve the scalability, reliability, and capacity of our core systems
- Participate in Agile development as a member of a self-organizing Scrum team
- Write feature code, write automated tests, do code reviews, participate in design
- Contribute to product design in a collaborative, distributed team environment
- Help improve our engineering practices
You don’t need all of these, but the more you have the better. If you don’t have more than half then you’re probably not a good match for this job.
- BS degree from an accredited university in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical discipline. MS would be a plus
- 2+ years experience in commercial software development
- Familiarity with J2EE, Spring and Hibernate
- Experience with Java
- Knowledge of Linux and MySQL or other SQL database
- Experience with design and implementation for uptime SLAs and scalability
- Multithreaded programming
- Experience build cloud-based systems (Amazon, Google, or other) and using cloud-based tools
- Web programming – REST, OAuth, Tomcat, MVC model
- Mobile device app development: Mobile web, Android, iOS
- Awareness of NoSQL tools such as Redis, Voldemort, Cassandra
- Interest in and exposure to modern programming tools and practices such as Open Source, TDD, Git, Jenkins, Chef, Continuous Build and Integration
Scanbuy is the leading global provider of mobile barcode solutions. We use mobile phones as a link between the physical and digital worlds. Used in over 125 countries around the world every day, the ScanLife scanner app is the gateway for consumers to make more informed purchases and for companies to connect to consumers in their daily lives away from a computer.
We are a distributed Agile organization that uses scrum for our daily activities. We empower our team to do its best work in its own way, and we depend on it to uphold high engineering standards and to do the right thing. At Scanbuy, you will be on a Scrum team working closely with a few other colleagues to build value for our customers in the best way you know how. We value deep levels of expertise and experience coupled with the willingness to pitch in as needed to make the team successful. The choice of tasks you work on will be your own in concert with the needs of the team. We’re not perfect, but we try to do real Scrum here.
We have been a distributed team for some years now and we have figured out how to make it work for us. Don’t let your location keep you from getting on a team where your development scope spans the entire product set. If you like having the kind of impact you can have only in a small company, you should check us out.