Sr. Web Application Engineer
Location: Anywhere, NYC preferred
Reports To: VP, Product Development
Scanbuy is building its development team. We are looking for several developers at all levels of experience to join us as we build out our Java-based web application, our handset apps, and our data offering. We work together as a team and while we all have our deep areas of experience, we all pitch in to product products for our customers regardless of specialization.
As a software engineer you thrive in a fun start-up environment delivering rock-solid customer focused solutions. You work best as part of a close-knit team that likes to get things done and learn as they go. If you want to make a difference at a small company riding a tidal wave of market upsurge, consider us. We have a startling amount of work to do that offers endless opportunities to learn new technologies, be creative with user interfaces, and catapult our solution into worldwide leadership.
You will be a member of a small cross functional scrum team working with Product Owner and customers to scope, design, implement and launch new features. As a key member of this team you will be working on the ScanLife platform delivering shippable software every 2 weeks. We have few boundaries (who can afford boundaries?) so you will be able to stretch in any number of directions even as you bring your skills and experience to the table and mentor our junior people.
- Work with the engineering and product teams to design, develop, test, and deploy customer features
- Develop deep feature expertise working on the handset scanning app, the web-based Code Management Platform, the server side scan resolution system, and our data feeds
- Improve the scalability, reliability, and capacity of our core systems
- Participate in Agile development as a member of a self-organizing Scrum team
- Write feature code, write automated tests, do code reviews, participate in design
- Contribute to product design in a collaborative, distributed team environment
- Help improve our engineering practices
You don’t need all of these, but the more you have the better. If you don’t have more than half then you’re probably not a good match for this job.
- BS degree from an accredited university in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical discipline. MS would be a plus
- 2+ years experience in commercial software development
- Familiarity with J2EE, Spring and Hibernate
- Experience with Java
- Knowledge of Linux and MySQL or other SQL database
- Experience with design and implementation for uptime SLAs and scalability
- Multithreaded programming
- Experience build cloud-based systems (Amazon, Google, or other) and using cloud-based tools
- Web programming – REST, OAuth, Tomcat, MVC model
- Mobile device app development: Mobile web, Android, iOS
- Awareness of NoSQL tools such as Redis, Voldemort, Cassandra
- Interest in and exposure to modern programming tools and practices such as Open Source, TDD, Git, Jenkins, Chef, Continuous Build and Integration
Scanbuy is the leading global provider of mobile barcode solutions. We use mobile phones as a link between the physical and digital worlds. Used in over 125 countries around the world every day, the ScanLife scanner app is the gateway for consumers to make more informed purchases and for companies to connect to consumers in their daily lives away from a computer.
We are a distributed Agile organization that uses scrum for our daily activities. We empower our team to do its best work in its own way, and we depend on it to uphold high engineering standards and to do the right thing. At Scanbuy, you will be on a Scrum team working closely with a few other colleagues to build value for our customers in the best way you know how. We value deep levels of expertise and experience coupled with the willingness to pitch in as needed to make the team successful. The choice of tasks you work on will be your own in concert with the needs of the team. We’re not perfect, but we try to do real Scrum here.
We have been a distributed team for some years now and we have figured out how to make it work for us. Don’t let your location keep you from getting on a team where your development scope spans the entire product set. If you like having the kind of impact you can have only in a small company, you should check us out.
Software Engineer - Mobile Application Development
Description: Scanbuy is seeking a software engineer for mobile application software development.
Location: Manhattan, NY or Telecommute
Reports To: CTO
Scanbuy is the world’s largest provider of mobile code publishing and scanning solutions. Our software is used by people in over 100 countries to manage and use barcodes, QR Codes, Datamatrix codes, and others. Our apps have been downloaded over 40,000,000 times. We are looking for a developer to join our development team with a primary focus on our iOS and Android ScanLife apps.
To be a good fit, you should be a good developer, self-managing with Agile experience, and enjoy an environment with few limits. We want you to be good at apps and at the same time we’d like you to be ready and interested to do some back end Java development on the ScanLife Code Management Platform when the team needs you to do that. We’d like you to driven just enough that you will have a personal project to show us and talk about.
• Develop, maintain, and enhance barcode scanning applications on all handsets and operating systems
• Develop and grow in-depth expertise for developing applications on one or two handset operating systems
• Help Scanbuy achieve and maintain clear leadership among mobile scanning applications
• Participate in Agile development as a member of a Scrum development team
• BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical discipline. MS degree would be a plus.
• Proficiency in Object Oriented Programming or Embedded Device programming
• Programming experience in at least two of C, C++, Java, Objective C, C#
• 2 years experience in mobile handset software development on iPhone, Android, or BlackBerry SDK
• Demonstrable interest in and exposure to modern programming tools and practices such as Open Source, TDD, Git, Continuous Build and Integration
• Successful release of a mobile app to the Apple App store, Android Market Place, or BlackBerry App World
• Ability to develop against a variety of web architectures and services (HTTP, SOAP, REST, etc.)
• Passion towards user interface, engaging experience.
• Enthusiasm to collaborate with designers, product managers, and other engineers.
Bonus points for:
• Knowledge of UI frameworks (Android/iOS)
• MVP application design.
• Advanced experience in performance, functional & unit testing.
We are a distributed Agile organization. That means we empower our teams to do their best work in their own way, and we depend on them to uphold high engineering standards and to do the right thing. You will be on a Scrum team working closely with a few other colleagues to build value for our customers in the best way you know how. We value deep levels of expertise and experience coupled with the willingness to pitch in as needed to make the team successful. The choice of tasks you work on will be your own in concert with the needs of your team. Our CTO is a Certrified ScrumMaster Trainer, so we do real Scrum here. We are looking for ‘test-infected’ developers who understand automated unit testing and feature testing. TDD experience would be a huge plus.
If you telecommute, you will be working from home for the most part, but that won’t prevent you from interacting with your colleagues every day. We will only consider you for telecommuting if you have significant experience being on a scrum or other Agile team.
Scanbuy is the leading global provider of mobile barcode solutions. We use the mobile phone as the link between the physical and digital worlds. Used in over 125 countries around the world every day, the ScanLife scanner app is the gateway for consumers to make more informed purchases and for companies to connect to consumers in their daily lives away from a computer. We have experienced 600% growth in usage over the past year and we are still riding the rocket. Find out a little more about Scanbuy in a recent press release.
The Best Companies Group (BCG) database of over 300,000 employee interviews reveals that employees working in small companies are significantly more satisfied with their jobs overall than employees in larger companies.
Paid Marketing Interns
Scanbuy - Greater New York City Area
Paid intern positions available for applicants seeking hands on experience in Marketing.
A global leader in mobile engagement is seeking marketing interns to support corporate marketing initiatives and programs such as lead generation, research, social media and events. Individuals should be dynamic, take initiative, be dedicated to teamwork, work well with deadlines, and have strong organizational skills. You should be eager to learn marketing techniques that drive business.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good relationship development skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and manage multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent research ability and command of the internet
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to gain valuable marketing experience. The position will report to the Vice President of Marketing but will interact with all departments.